- Architects: M-Arquitectos
- Year: 2013
- Photographs: Adrià Goula
- Stability And Infrastructure :Ricardo Pacheco, Tiago Costa
- Contractor : Empreiteiro Victor M. Brasil Pacheco
- Authors : Fernando Monteiro, Marco Resendes, Miguel Sousa
- Architect In Charge : Fernando Monteiro
- Project Team :Marco Resendes, Miguel Sousa, Pedro Furtado, Diana Policarpo, Maria Melo Bento, Carolina Oliveira
- City :Ponta Delgada
- Country :Portugal
From a remainder stone wall of an old construction pops up a contemporary house handing over to the sea. Indeed, this new volume was designed to improve its urban grid where is settled. The housing deterioration, seen at the neighboring, contrasts with the new volume, creating a relationship between the house and the surroundings. Unquestionably, the house improves its urban environment, as well as takes advantage of the sea views.
The proposal volumetric object is a result, therefore, from the sea views, contrasting with the main’s street opaque façade, together with the function program given by the client.
The elevation disparity from the Main Street to the Avenue creates a semi buried floor dedicated to the technical areas which has a direct connection to the Avenue that merges the ocean. The function splits into two levels: while the ground floor which connects to the main street is devoted to the social areas, the first floor is reserved for the private areas.
Thus, the dwelling exploits its relation with the environment, not just from its special volume, but also given by the clean design, textures and materials, particularly the basalt stone, native to this volcanic islands with the concrete.